Friday, April 16, 2010

BJJ and Chess

I was sitting on the mat next to the kids' and Muay Thai instructors watching some sparring. I'd just finished my intro class with the kids' instructor and they were explaining some basic principles and answering my questions. It was all so snuggly (of course this was before the laps and pushups and ukemis and...yeah.) The kids' instructor said one thing that I think sold me on BJJ. He said it was like physical chess. I liked the idea, but honestly took it as one of those similes people throw around to make some activity more accessible to newbies.

Well, last night, during my second roll, my instructor called out that I only had two moves to get on top. My mind froze. I'm surprised I didn't get submitted right then and there. The chess analogy immediately made sense...I can't do anything with it, but my perspective has shifted a bit.


2 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

One thing my instructor told me that I will always remember was his response when I said, "Man! It always seems like you're two steps ahead of me!" He said, "It's not that I'm two steps ahead, it's that I only left you two directions you can go. So I know that you have to do one of two things. And I'm prepared for both of them."
To which I responded, "Yeah, I'm screwed."

Megan said...

Lol...funny the stuff that sticks with you.