Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The ladies in the gym were sad tonight.

I didn't think I'd get to use Sad Spider this soon.


I was standing in the locker room, and one of the instructors touched my shoulder. "Is everything ok?" I paused...nodded my head yes. It's really not. Work's cranked up to a point where I'm so exhausted in class that I can't focus on half of what I'd like to. My kimura sweep is still blah...a friggin' kimura sweep.

This guy though...I choose carefully when I answer "yes" to that question. He's one of those guys who seems to be able to smell when my resilience is cracking. He asks and I start to tear up. I swallowed the lump in my throat, only to hear Lady Fire Fighter telling Jo how she sat out from sparring, fighting back tears because of her recent injury and Jo responding with her identical experience that same morning after injuring her calve. They've been training like crazy for NAGA and in the span of a couple of days, they've both been injured.

I didn't know what to say to either of them. Of course there will be other competitions. They'll heal and they'll train and they'll compete, but all that sounds trite in the face of potential disappointment like this. I'm not sure there really is much to say.

ThomasShahan

2 comments:

Georgette said...

My ankle has been jacked up since before Christmas, and tonight I randomly wrecked my wrist (alliteration makes me feel better, a little.)

Tournament Sat and Sun.

I am sad hedgehog to go with sad spider.

hugs....

Megan said...

I guess literary devices really don't heal all wounds.

Hedgehog will rise again.