Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Judo Month!!! My psoas are tight!!

And I'm friggin' sore!!

Me 18 months ago...well, not literally...you know what I mean

Georgette, thank you for the reminder about Stumptuous. I'd started reading a while back but it had fallen off my regular blog reading list. I went just now and right on the home page I found this article about yoga for fighters and tight psoas. Before I started, I could do double pigeon and almost get my head to the ground. Now? Sitting up straight is a bit of a challenge.

I TOTALLY forgot we were doing a month of judo at the gym. I was super excited when I found out last month and totally glad we're doing it. This grip thing is so mysterious, it makes me want to learn more. As soon as I finish writing this, I'm going to see how much I can put down on paper from memory.


We did two rounds today...one from standing, just grip fighting and the other from our knees, pure jiu jitsu. Why...oh why...do I hesitate so much??? Side control and bottom half are my mortal enemies and I know exactly what to do, but what do I do when I see someone coming for them? I freeze and start thinking. I'm getting better at setting up submissions from spider and what do I do? Hesitate to get my lasso in. The thinking periods are getting shorter though. I was way too down on myself after class. I don't know why I ignore perfectly reasonable factors for reduced performance...first day of resistance band training (my shoulder are so weak!), longer than normal warm up. I think I'm getting better about that yet.

And this week, to get back on track, I'm doing a week of brown rice with black beans and wheat germ, chicken baked in a smoked paprika yoghurt crust with panko, salmon croquettes and Parmesan roasted broccoli...and to keep me on track, a weekend project of churros con chocolate. Something near and dear to my heart.

No comments: