Thursday, May 3, 2012

My version of cauliflower ear...

...I think my time has come. I've run out my time wearing inexpensive earrings.

I've generally stayed away from straight up "cheap" ones, but I love a set of overstated, mid-priced ear-candy. Today though, I looked at my left lobe and saw raw flesh. I squarely blame BJJ.

I've always had earring issues...I didn't get them pierced until I was 17. Why so late? Well, my father apparently was sternly against my mother piercing them when I was 2, then, by the time I was old enough to start drilling holes in my body myself, I was terrified by the process. I really wish someone would have explained to me how the "gun" worked. I assumed someone stood at one end of the booth with you at the other end, holding your lobe out. I envisioned myself doubled over in pain, a sparkly stud protruding from my eye socket after a none-too-coordinated booth attendant ruined my life.

Just as I was going off to college, I got my ears pierced. Wasn't too bad and I followed the post-piercing instructions. Still though, I  was plagued with months of oozy, painful lobes. They never really stopped. Over a decade later and I still have to give them weekends off. It was working for a while, but lately, I've been noticing they've been warm and swollen even after a few hours of wearing earrings that previously gave me no problems.

So yeah, it's not actually cauliflower ear, but my best guess is that they're exposed to more infection potential from training and even the best washing only goes so far. So...I guess I'll try all surgical steel earrings (the selection isn't half as fun) and see what happens. 

3 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Didn't get my ears pierced till I was in college. About two weeks after I started BJJ, I took my earrings out and haven't put any in since. I'm in class so much, it was just too much hassle.

Shark Girl said...

What a pain to keep changing earrings! I had some diamond studs and some emerald studs and just kept them in all the time. Then BJJ came along . . . out they went and haven't gone back since. (Just for special occasions). I'm too lazy...

Megan said...

I just...I just...I gave up the nails. Can't see giving up the earrings. I know jiu jitsu changes you and all...but uh...